Berry or Mushroom picking etc.
Berry picking is a popular activity on JBER. A few thing to consider when picking berries or mushroom are:
- Make sure you are able to distiguish between edible and poisonous species. More information can be found at the following websites:
- Keep in mind that some areas that may be bountiful with berries may also be restricted access or closed areas. For example portions of JBER up Arctic Valley Road near Site Summit. It is your responsibility to know where you are and where you are allowed to be.
Enlisted personnel and dependents who hunt, fish, or gather berries on JBER:
Please take a moment to read this flyer (Click Here) and consider participating in a university study
Hiking, Running, Bicycling etc.
There are many hiking and running opportunities on JBER including:
- Knick Bluff Trail
- Upper Ship Creek Trail
- Bulldog Trail
Remember: you must be signed in to iSportsman whenever you are recreating on the undeveloped portions of JBER (with the exeption of MWR managed facilities). Also be aware of wildlife. For info on moose and bear safety, see the Wildlife page.
Photographing wildlife and natural areas is a popular activity on JBER. Be aware however, that photographing of military aircraft, vehicles, buildings, personell, or anything else associated with the military is strictly prohibited.
The following activities are prohibited on JBER property:
- Gold mining or prospecting of any kind
- Collecting, removing, or otherwise disturbing any archeological or historic artifacts
- Swimming in any waters on JBER
- Harvesting plants other than defined elswhere on this website
Exempted Acvtivities - MWR Managed or otherwise
The following activities are exempt from using the iSportsman system:
- Camping or picknicking in MWR managed facilities
- Running or walking in the cantonement areas
- Skiing at designated ski areas (e.g. Hillberg)
- MWR sponsored rafting of eagle river
For more information on allowed, prohibited, and exempted activities please see 673ABWI 32-7001 Conservation and Management of Cultural and Natural Resources