Frequently Asked Questions

Q: The training area that I want to recreate in isn't listed, why? A: When signing in to iSportsman for your recreational activity, the listed training areas are the only areas open for recreation at that time.

Q: If an area is closed to recreation, can I drive through that area? A: No. If an area is closed to recreation, the roads going through that area are also closed.

Q: The training areas available to me seem to be different depending on which activity I chose, why? Not all activities are available in all areas. For instance, off road vehicle use is only permitted in training areas 411, 412 and 418.

Q: Do I need to sign in to iSportsman to go camping or when I use one of the cabins or chalets on JBER?  No. iSportsman is intended to be used for recreating in the undeveloped portions of JBER. Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (MWR) facilities and functional areas are exempt from iSportsman. You would need to sign into iSportsman if you chose to leave those facilities to hike, fish, et cetera. For example if you are on Otter Lake in an MWR rented boat you do not need to be signed in to iSporstman; If you then begin fishing, you DO need to have an iSportsman permit and be signed in.

Q: Am I able to sign into more than one area at a time? A: Yes. You are allowed to sign into up to two areas at once. If you will be visiting more than two areas, simply sign out of one area and into another as you travel. This is for your safety, the safety of the troops, and to maintain the integrity of the military training experience.

Q: I don't have access to a computer. How can I get an iSportsman permit? A: There are iSportsman kiosks located at each of the JBER Visitor's Centers. You can purchase a permit at either of these kiosks.

Q: I don't have a credit card, how can I pay for the permit?  We recommend purchasing a pre-paid credit card for this purpose. Many local retailers sell prepaid credit cards including Fred Meyer, Carrs, Walmart, Target, etc.

Q: Why are you charging for recreational use and where does the money go?  Department of Defense instructions state that recreation programs be self-sustaining. Money collected from iSportsman fees goes into paying for this system, and for natural resource related projects on JBER.

For assistance with this system click HERE or call:

(907) 552-8609, (907) 552-9453 or (907) 384-2440

For emergency assistance after-hours:

Conservation Law Enforcement Duty Cell Phone: (907) 903-6892 (hours are 0800-0030 five days a week)
Military Conservation Agent Standby Cell Phone: (907) 947-1145 (monitored after normal business hours, weekends, and holidays)