Caution: Hillberg Lake is closed until further notice. Water pumping for the snow making has caused extremely dangerous ice conditions.

NOTICES: - JBER training and recreation areas are now CLOSED to ATV and ORV use.

                          - Christmas Tree cutting permits are now available through 31 December 2021! Click here for more information.

!! Important !! Northern pike have recently been discovered in Lower Sixmile Lake on JBER. If you catch a pike while fishing in any JBER lakes, you are REQUIRED to kill the fish and report it to Conservation Law Enforcement (552-8609) or the JBER Fisheries Biologist (384-3380). Anglers are also encouraged to turn in any caught pike to the JBER Fisheries Biologist. Northern pike are an invasive species in Southcentral Alaska and threaten native salmon populations on JBER. Please do your part to protect our native salmon.

JBER has been receiving numerous calls about the new road that visibly rises above Bulldog Trail (East of Muldoon Road) and over the Chugach Frontrange. This road is still actively under construction and CLOSED to recreation.


For those trying to contact the JBER Forester, iSportsman administrators, or other JBER contacts, please be advised that USAF computer servers have been known to restrict email communications from certain email providers, including GCI. If you do not receive a timely response to your email inquiry, it is recommended that you follow up with a phone call. See "Contacts" tab of the JBER iSportsman page for specific contact phone numbers.


Effective 1 February 2019, all recreation and access is prohibited in the area between Lower Sixmile Lake and Cook Inlet, including the entire length of Lower Sixmile Creek, EOD Creek, all trails and access roads, and the mouth of Sixmile Creek. The specific boundaries of the closed area are as follows:

  • North of Green Lake, West of 43rd Street, West of Fairchild Avenue after the Northern intersection with 43rd Street, North of 46th Street/Otter Lake Road, and West of the boundary with Training Area 415.

If you have any questions about these closures or areas, please call Conservation Law Enforcement at 907-552-8609.


Visitor Center Kiosks are available at the Richardson and Boniface Gates. These kiosks can be used by anyone to register, buy and print recreation permits, and access the website. 


Recreational Permit Requirement

The iSportsman registration is required for everyone 16 years and older, to include military members or retirees, DoD affiliated civilians and the public. Recreation permits are required to recreate in undeveloped portions of JBER, with the exception of Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) sponsored events or facilities and WITHIN THE ROADWAYS of the following routes: Fairchild Ave, 46th St, Vandenberg Ave, Airlifter Dr, and Otter Lake Rd from the Fort Richardson main Cantonment to the intersection with 46th St and Vandenberg Ave. CLICK HERE for a map of these routes. For example, camping and boat rental through MWR or picnicking at Otter Lake are exempt from iSportsman requirements, but hunting/fishing or harvesting anywhere on JBER requires an iSportsman recreational permit and state-issued hunting/fishing license, even when conducted at an MWR facility/event or military sponsored event. Recreating on the road system outside the cantonment areas or Otter Lake, Fairchild, Talley and 46th St. also requires an iSportsman permit and to be signed in.

Recreational activities requiring an iSportsman permit:

  • Hiking, biking or running even when conducted on roads with the only exceptions being Otter Lake, Talley, Fairchild and 46th st.
  • Fishing
  • Kayaking or canoeing with a boat that isn’t rented from an MWR facility or associated with an MWR sponsored event
  • Foraging for wild edibles (including berries and mushrooms)
  • Sightseeing
  • Wildlife viewing/photography
  • Small game hunting

Activities with additional permit requirements (See specific activity pages)

  • Wood cutting (Firewood and Christmas tree)
  • Big game hunting (Moose and Black Bear)
  • ORV use (ATV and Snowmobile)

The following activities are not allowed on JBER:

  • Boating on Ship Creek
  • Trapping
  • Geocaching
  • Mineral exploration/extraction
  • Falconry (including active hunting, training or collecting eggs/chicks from nests)
  • Operation of unmanned aerial systems (UASs) such as drones
  • Target shooting (other than at approved MWR facilities)
  • Transplanting plants

Recreation on military lands is subject to availability and dependent on military security/training requirements. When signing into iSportsman, closed or restricted access areas will not show up as an option for recreational activities. Be aware that an installation pass is still required and that trespassing or permit violations may result in revocation of recreational privileges or more serious actions.

Hold Harmless Agreement

By using the iSportsman system to recreate on JBER you are agreeing to the Hold Harmless Agreement. Click HERE to read the agreement

How to Use This System

  • Click on the Registration link above
  • The system will walk you through the registration process
  • Once you are registered in the system you will need to acquire a Recreation Permit (iSportsman Permit)
  • To do this, from your account page, click on the  'Acquire Permit(s)' button, then purchase the Recreation Permit
  • The Recreation Permit is not a base access pass. If you do not already have base access, make sure you acquire a pass from security forces
  • For more information, see the 'Access' page

Below is a summary of the information or function found at the tabs above


  • Security Forces requirements
  • Information on who can recreate on base and where


  • Downloadable maps of recreation areas


  • Initiates the process of registering an account in the iSportsman system

Sign in/Sign out

  • Initiates the process of signing in or out of JBER lands for recreation

Open Areas

  • Shows areas currently open for recreation
  • Forecasted openings



  • Hunting regulations and requirements
  • Hunting maps
  • Weapons restrictions and requirements


  • Fishing/boating regulations and requirements
  • Fishing/boating maps
  • ADFG stocking information


  • Requirements and restrictions for use of Off-Road Vehicles (ORVs) and snowmobiles
  • Authorized area maps
    • ORV
    • Snowmobile

Other Recreation

  • Information about other recreation including but not limited to: hiking, cycling, picking/harvesting, sightseeing, running, photography, etc.
  • Prohibited activities


  • Forestry product harvest requirements and information
    • Personal use firewood
    • Personal use Christmas tree
  • Forestry user maps
  • General information about the forestry program


  • Nuisance or aggressive wildlife
    • Reporting
    • Safety information
  • Wildlife Education Center information

My Account

  • Administration of your iSportsman account


  • State and Federal agencies
  • Other important information